[Sca-cooks] bread starter

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 17 04:37:22 PST 2002

>Years ago, I did make my own sourdough using my own starter for awhile.
>Have you (or anyone else?) tried several different starters from a
>place such as Ed Wood? Did you see any real differances between the
>different starters? Or do normal differances from one batch to the
>next, drown out the differance between starters?

I've used several different starters serially over the years.  There is, for
instance, a clear difference between Herman and a San Francisco sourdough
starter.  Other times the difference is not as clear.

>If they are indeed different, how do you keep them from contaminating
>
>each other? Simply freeze one before you use another? I know some
>local brewers who have so much yeast free floating and otherwise
>around their house, that fruit juice left for a short while on the
>counter begins to ferment.
>--
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

You ignore it.  The starter is an active ferment.  The dominant yeast will
over power other yeasts  in the starter.  I suspect this may be part of the
idea behind chugging.  A new starter has any number of yeasts in it.
Chugging would tend to support a rapid dominance.

Bear