[Sca-cooks] tart crusts

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue Dec 17 15:45:01 PST 2002

Just chiming in, I have made tarts/pies in a ceramic pie plate, and floured
the plate well enough that I was able to slip the pie from the plate and
serve it thusly.  So what are the chances if  **I**  can do that, our
ancestors may have as well?
Caointiarn

> From the way the man in the picture is holding the item, I am more
inclined to think that they are shallow bowls of something.  If they were
crusts, they would break in half the way he is passing the object with his
right hand.   That would explain the uniformity - if they were in a pottery
container.
> > On 16 Dec 2002, at 23:28, Daniel Myers wrote:
> I wish I could remember the title of the painting or the artist.  only
several
> > > tarts being carried on a serving board by two men.  The tarts were
round with fairly straight sides, and filled approximately to the top edge
of the crust.  What makes me suspect that they were baked in a pan was that
they were quite uniform in shape and size, and the crusts didn't appear to
be all that thick.