[Sca-cooks] tart crusts

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 16:40:55 PST 2002

Either those pies are in pans, or that's a mighty tough crust.  See the diner snitching one off the board, and passing another to his table mate, and the kid hugging his to his breast.  I don't know of a water paste crust that could hold up to that kind of use.  I know a short crust wouldn't even come close.
Mordonna
 Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:On 16 Dec 2002, at 23:28, Daniel Myers wrote:

> I wish I could remember the title of the painting or the artist. No
> tart pans or other dishes were present in the painting, only several
> tarts being carried on a serving board by two men. The tarts were
> round with fairly straight sides, and filled approximately to the top
> edge of the crust. What makes me suspect that they were baked in a pan
> was that they were quite uniform in shape and size, and the crusts
> didn't appear to be all that thick. That combined with the way the
> custardes I made this weekend turned out suggests to me that they could
> have been made in a similar way.

I think you may mean "Peasant Wedding" by Pieter Brueghel the
Elder.

Here's a picture:
http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page431.html

Click on the plus sign in the circle beneath the thumbnail to see a
larger picture.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net

Lady Anne du Bosc