[Sca-cooks] OOP: grilled cheese sandwiches

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Dec 18 03:53:06 PST 2002

Also sprach Gorgeous Muiredach:
>At 12:15 AM 12/18/2002, you wrote:
>>On 18 Dec 2002, at 0:09, Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>>
>>>  Try a Croque-Madame.
>>
>>Isn't that just a Croque Monsieur with an egg added to it?
>
>Vegetarian croque monsieur.  No ham.  Eggs is not a variation I've heard of.

Web site opinions notwithstanding, The Larousse Gastronomique comes
out on Brighid's side of this little drama: after talking about what
you get when you use chicken instead of ham, it says, essentially,
"oh, yeah, if you add an egg to a croque-monsieur, it's called a
croque-madame..."

Now, most of us will remember my previous comments on the LG, which
amounted to the claim that where French cookery is not involved,
these people don't know chiffonade from Shinola, but since this
particular subject _is_ related to French cookery, my own experience
suggests there may be some credibility to the above.

>>I share your opinion, but I don't know this guy, and my husband
>>only knows him slightly.  It might be more tactful to say, "You can't
>>get that over there, but this is the closest equivalent."

Honh Honh! Avez vous le Garde Blanc "Belly-Bombayre"? [Gras-double
Grenadier?] Yes, I agree that the above may be the most diplomatic
solution. A gentle suggestion that French people generally don't eat
that way, rightly or wrongly, might help.

>ahhh.  Well, remember, anyone travelling is an ambassador to their
>countries...  I won't say the rest of my thought on that, draw your own
>conclusion :-)

"Edmund, be sure to bring plenty of clean underwear, don't talk to
strangers, and don't eat foreign food..."

Adamantius