[Sca-cooks] SAD

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Wed Dec 18 19:58:19 PST 2002

Was written:

> >I was reading an article in 'Psychology Today" on
> >Seasonal Affliction Disorder.  And the main cure for
> >it was vitamins.   This got me thinking.  Was there
> >such a problem in the medeaval diate?  (sorry I am an
> >awful speller) and did the dieate really change from
> >summer to winter?  especially in more northernly
> >regions like Briton.

Yes diet did change over the seasons, especially as one moved to higher
latitudes.   Winters were the lean times.  No or very little in the way of
fresh veggies and fruit, only what could be stored.  Dried fish and fruits,
preserved meats supplimented with what could be hunted or caught.  What
stock that had not been slaughtered in the Fall was fed through the Winter
until the Spring.

Daniel