[Sca-cooks] Paganism was RE: A new twist!

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Dec 18 18:07:27 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/18/2002 3:42:58 PM Mountain Standard Time,
goldberg at bestweb.net writes:

> Catholicism is a subset of Christianity, as Wicca is a subset of Paganism.
> Personally, I think it's a rather weak analogy (no disrespect to the
> original poster), since Wicca is not the current heir to the "original"
> Paganism (there's no such thing).

I would agree.  There were a wide variety of "original" pagan religions.
Among modern pagans there are varying levels of trying to work with those
original forms, including those that are trying to recreate religions based
on the available documents.   The problem is that because Wicca is the best
known, it is what many people think of automatically when someone says pagan.
 It can make things interesting for the rest of us, and the reason some
people following older religions don't like to use pagan at all.

Noemi