Digression (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Torta de Cerase) - OOP, OT, Silly

Erika Thomenius ldygytha at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 05:12:48 PST 2002

>Our local magazine, "New Mexico", has a section on this called "One of Our
>Fifty is Missing".  When we moved out here thirty years ago, our friends
>wanted to know if we would have to learn Spanish and why we were mad at the
>USA! 8-D

Hah!  :)

Apparently, some folks from NM who wanted to buy tickets for the Atlanta
Olympics were told that they'd have to contact their embassy.

When I was working as a phone tech at Gateway, a guy whose computer I was
fixing asked me where I was.  When I told him, he complimented me on my
English and asked if I was near Cancun.

I was tempted to say either:

"No hablo Ingles, senor" and hang up the phone, or

"Well, I was born in New Jersey, so when I moved to the States I had to get
married to get my green card."

Then I realized that I wanted to remain employed, and politely assured the
gentleman that NM was one of the 50 states.

ObFoodContent:  Though I have become a total Mexican food snob since I moved
here.  And a good green chile cheeseburger is sheer ambrosia.

-Gytha "The *47th* state!  In the union since 1912!" Karlsdotter