[Sca-cooks] SAD

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 20 06:11:26 PST 2002

> A good idea of diet in winter is the Little House on the Prairie books.
> Granted they're late 19th century, but when they are stranded out on the
> plains during the winter, with no food and no trains able to bring any,
> their diet is very limited.

I would say that _The Long Winter_ is a poor example of winter food
because it was a pioneer community with few homegrown resources, under
extreme conditions; but seasonal food appears in _Little House in the Big
Woods_ and of course _Farmer Boy_ ... you get a better idea of what food
was available in the 19th century to settled folk.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Words can be your friend or your enemy, depending on who's
throwing the book, so watch your language." Stoppard