[Sca-cooks] OT - earliest belt loops?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Dec 20 07:14:34 PST 2002

I would suggest that the person wanting the information on
early belt loops ought to check the various fashion or clothing
dictionaries of terms. Any reasonable library with a good reference
section should have a selection that would answer the question with
examples. One might have to look up belts and work backwards.

The problem will be what do they mean by belt loops? Loops that are sewn
to the pants in which the belt sits or loops that go over the belt.
Under Bandoleer in the OED one finds--
A belt of this kind worn by soldiers; orig. it helped to support the
musket,
 and had also attached twelve little cases, each containing a charge
 for the musket; later, a shoulder-belt fitted with little loops, in
which
 cartridges are suspended.
1596 Unton Invent. 3 Six musketts with bandileares.

1622 F. Markham Bk. Warre i. ix. 3 To this Bandiliere shall bee
 fastened by long double strings, that they may with more ease be
 brought to the mouth of the musquet, one large priming charge..and at
least twelve other charges.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway