[Sca-cooks] marzipan queston

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 20 12:00:33 PST 2002

>  Greetings and best wishes for a Joyous Holiday Season !!
>
>   Have a quick queston on marzipan...
>  Wanting to learn how to mold and craft things from
>   marzipan is my new goal,maybe not as snazzy as Olwens
>  stuff or some of the others who are very talented in that way,
>but the basics at least,would it be better to make my own
>or experiment with "store made" stuff ?
>  What basic tools or tips would I need ?
>
>Æthelwülf

Hey Aethelwulf, you going to Atlantian 12th night?  If so, we can play
there.  I think I still have half a pound or so almond paste and, if I
didn't toss it out, I may have a few pounds of various colours of marzipan.
I won't be buying any more almond paste this year.  The studio has been so
depleted of marzipan that you can actually smell stuff besides almonds
there.  Now if I could just make it smell like something better than the
litter pan...
Anyway, from what I have seen and heard, the crap that comes in those little
tubes is awful.  Tastes awful and feels awful too.  Plus it costs about as
much for a few ounces of that stuff than it does for a pound of my almond
paste, including shipping!
My honest advice is to learn to make your own.  It can be a challenge and a
pain and gratifying as well.  When I make my own I find I have to
practically re-learn everything about working with it.  The sheer quantity
of stuff I do makes it not at all cost effective/time effective to make my
own from scratch every time.  The paste I buy and use is extremely user
friendly, unlike homemade which can be temperamental in certain weather or
conditions.
Anyway, if I can be of any help or service, please let me know.  I will be
glad to help.
Olwen, single, looking and sooo not wanting to work for a bank!