[Sca-cooks] Teppanyaki tables

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 21 20:25:00 PST 2002

Eggs in butter are lovely if you are cooking in an American or Northern
European style. But Teppanyaki is supposed to be Japanese, and
traditional Japanese cooking doesn't use dairy. Changes the flavor all
together.

OK, modern Japanese cooks do occasionally use butter, under some
circumstances, and they have definitely discovered the joys of ice
cream... red bean ice cream is good stuff...  but you shouldn't have
dairy sneak up on you, so to say, in a Japanese meal. You should know
you are eating an exotic flavor.

The Japanese cooking fat is vegetable oil, which, until recently, was
terribly expensive. People didn't really use it much at home. Instead,
they developed a collection of deep fried foods, such as tempura, and
fried tofu, which could be prepared in shops. One ate tempura or fired
noodles out, one bought aburage, fried tofu, in shops and used it in
cooking to add the richness of the oil. These balanced the otherwise
extremely low fat diet.

Anne