[Sca-cooks] cooking geese, was cat antics

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Dec 24 07:32:31 PST 2002

i cooked a Goose for Yule.. my first !

i followed the directions in a roasting book put out by the editors of Cooks
Illustrated.  it came out fabulously!!

1. prick skin all over, especially near thigh and breast, without peircing
meat.
2. plunge into boiling water for about one minute, or until "goose bumps"
form.  (i had to do half the bird, then flip it)
3. pat dry and return to fridge for 24 - 48 hours
4. cook on large rack, breast down,  in oven at about 350F for one and a
half hours.
5. turn, cook an additional one and a half hours
6. check for doneness by pressing on thigh meat, it should feel broken up
like well done stew meat.
7.  remove pan and rack from oven, either drain fat, or use a new pan and
return goose to oven
8. turn oven up to 400 or so and cook for 15 minutes or until skin browns
and crisps.
9. let rest 30 mins before carving

i got over four CUPS of goose fat from it.. anyone have any ideas of what to
use it in??

Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."