[Sca-cooks] Christmas Dinner?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 24 18:18:10 PST 2002

Gunthar wrote:
>So, is anyone doing anything special for
>Christmas dinner?
>
>I'm spending Christmas alone but decided to
>at least splurge a bit and come up with
>a nice meal.

No tree, no decorations, no nuttin'. I'll spend Xmas just working on
my Twelfth Night garb and watching rented videos (mostly dramas - i
don't like comedies - and certainly not seasonal pap).

Last night, my ex-consort and i went and saw "Lord of the Rings - the
Two Towers". Whew! Really impressive! Wow!

I, too, am eating alone and decided to splurge. A local fancy "deli"
- the wrong word but i don't know what to call it - they sell all
sorts of gourmet items, fine cheeses, olive oil as expensive as wine,
fresh pastas, and all sorts of "home made" food - had Christmas
dinner specials (special in that they made stuff for the season, not
specially priced, except, well, expensive)...

So i got salmon rolled around a filling of rice, chard, leeks, and
mascarpone, with Green Sauce; and some apple/pear/dried cherry sauce
(not sauce for the fish, just a la apple sauce); and 1/2 pint each of
three spreads - (1) cheddar cheese with apricot chutney and a hint of
mustard, (2) stilton cheese with port and pecans, and (3) fig-olive
tapenade; and a fresh 'sweet' baguette to spread the three of them
on... (well, i had the bread and spreads for lunch); and a slice of
lemon mousse for dessert.

And from another place i bought a mixed greens (mezclun) salad with
blue cheese and roasted pecans and a nice vinaigrette dressing.

Well, it's about time to pull the salmon out of the fridge, warm up
the VCR, and pop an angsty tape in...

Hope you all have a healthy holiday - and anyone who's feeling sick,
get better soon :-)

Anahita