[Sca-cooks] Re: Horsemeat

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Dec 24 20:36:59 PST 2002

On Monday, December 23, 2002, at 08:55 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Nathan Adelaar replied to me with:
>> My mom loved telling stories about her experiences as a young girl in
>> the Holocaust in Holland.  One of her favorites involved a butcher her
>> family frequented, who started selling sausages containing horsemeat
>> as
>> other meats became scarce.  Often a horsemeat sausage sold for only a
>> fraction of the cost of a more traditional meat sausage, and
>> admixtures
>> of horse and traditional meats appeared.
>
> This statement implies though that folks in Holland were NOT eating
> horsemeat before they were forced to by unusual circumstances. Hardly
> evidence that modern Europeans regularly ate horsemeat, much less that
> medieval Europeans did.

My high school French teacher told us a story about how she once
accidentally bought ground meat from a horse butcher in Paris when she
lived there.  The weather was bad, making signs difficult to read, and
it was the only shop open at the time.  She thought it was a bit cheap
and the spaghetti she made with it tasted funny.  She figured things
out a couple of days later when she was back in that part of town.

- Doc