[Sca-cooks] cooking geese

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 24 21:30:56 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Adamantius commented:
>>Also sprach Kirsten Houseknecht:
>>>i got over four CUPS of goose fat from it.. anyone have any ideas of what to
>>>use it in??
>>
>>The best home fries, rosti, or other similar sauteed potatoes you ever had.
>
>Does this work only with goose fat? Or would it work, if not quite so
>tasty to use duck fat? I still have a frozen duck in the freezer. However,
>i wanted to try the Welsh salted duck recipe. That might end up with too
>much salt in the drippings for this. Of course my copy of the Welsh recipe
>book has probably been packed away by now...

Well, if you have ever cooked potatoes in bacon fat, you can tell me
what you think of it, and assume it would be pretty similar to use
another salted fat. Duck fat is another great cooking fat, fairly
similar to goose fat.

Salted fat (or, rather, the fat rendered from salted meat) presumably
would have a lower smoking point and a greater tendency toward
rancidity, but if it's stored under refrigeration and the cooking
heat is monitored, this may not matter much.

SOMEWHERE (I forget exactly where) I have seen instructions for
washing fats that might have things like extra-brown, caramelized
meat drippings in it. I kind of assume this would work well for salty
fats as well, but the gist is that you melt the fat slowly in some
water, bring it all to a boil for just a second or two, then cool, to
find a solid mass of fat sitting on top of your water, which has had
a lot of the dirty particles and/or salt mixed into it. Repeat as
needed.

Adamantius