[Sca-cooks] persona play (was FYI)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 25 03:35:02 PST 2002

At 03:02 AM 12/25/02 -0800, you wrote:

>But I agree that most of the time, women are dressing as men to utilize
>the better social standing and abilities of being a man. Seems men dress
>as women either to escape capture or to get in to some place (like a
>ladies chamber.)

Exactly! Wish I'd have put it that way myself.

Since you mentioned Achilles (and reminded me of something else entirely
but it led me around to this) I have here somewhere, I think in... yes!
Right here- _Constructing Medieval Sexuality_ (Lochrie, McCracken, Schultz,
eds., U Minn 1997). Lots of really fascinating stuff- and one chapter in
particular, by Jane Burns, "Refashioning Courtly Love: Lancelot as Ladies'
Man or Lady/Man?" Burns points out the physical description of men in the
lays, and how they could nearly pass as beautiful women- bright complexion,
ruddy cheeks, clear eyes, perfect teeth, fine hands, etc- until they are
dressed. It seems the clothing masculinizes an otherwise neutral body.
There's more, but that is the basic gist of the first half of her chapter.

She also mentions one of my favorite points- a role that is nearly a 'third
sex', that of the 'Domna' in Courtly love. The Domna was
physically/sexually female, but inhabits a social/courtly stance that is
nearly male- clearly an equal if not above the males around her. The title
'Domna' is a form that indicates a woman in authority, and is a title of
deep respect. The form of address is 'Midons', which has more in common
liguistically with 'my lord' than 'my lady', and the title and address were
used not only in the courtly relationship, but socially with a woman who
held land in her own right.

When pork is harvested from trees and I am elevated to the Peerage, it is
my intention to take the title Domna. It's appropriate to my (primary and
female) persona, and I feel it is more appropriate to the station. But such
is teh peeping of crickets...

'Lainie
-feeling a little genderbendered myself this evening- been working on a
letter to TRMs that is being written by Father Abelard. And he has a
somewhat different writing style...