[Sca-cooks] cooking geese

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Dec 25 16:53:16 PST 2002

Also sprach A F Murphy:
>Why?
>
>I know salt is used as a preservative, so why would something salted be
>more likely to go rancid than something unsalted? I do know that it
>preserves mostly by removing water, so I guess it wouldn't actually help
>preserve fat, but how would it make it worse?
>
>Anne
>
>Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>

>>Salted fat (or, rather, the fat rendered from salted meat) presumably
>>would have a lower smoking point and a greater tendency toward
>>rancidity,

For whatever reason, I'm not sure why, salted fats seem to break down
more easily than  unsalted types. If you melt bacon fat in a saute
pan, it seems to brown, for example, more easily than plain melted
lard under similar conditions. (No, I am not talking about
particulates; I'm talking about the fat itself.) If you are using an
industrial deep fryer, it's a commonly accepted rule that you salt
your food _after_ frying, to be sure and keep the salt out of the
fryer, because it's bad financial management to have to change the
oil with the increasing frequency allowing it to get salty seems to
create.

Having seen, smelled, and tasted such oil and fat, it seems to become
rancid more quickly than unsalted fats under otherwise similar
conditions.

Adamantius