[Sca-cooks] oil and salt

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Dec 25 21:34:12 PST 2002

At 09:17 PM 12/25/02,Stefan li Rous said something like:

>Maggie MacD. commented:
>>I don't know the chemical explanation, but from working in a fish and
>>potatoes store for many years, I know that salt breaks down the fats much
>>more quickly.
>
>A "fish and potatoes" store? Do you mean a grocery that only sold fish and
>potatoes? Or a fish and chips fast-food place? But you did mention getting
>salt into the oil vats, so I suspect the latter.

It was a "Mr. Fish and Chips" franchise store that my auntie owned for many
years. I worked there off and on for about five years (full time in the
summer and weekends over the winter).  I learned more than I ever wanted
about fish, potatoes, portion control, quality control and dealing with
Weird People.

Regards,
Maggie