[Sca-cooks] OT:new question

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Dec 26 08:26:00 PST 2002

>  > JUst a quick guess - physics or health reasons:
>>  Physics - a state change is easier from temperature extremes.
>>  Frex - hot water will freeze faster than cold water. It may be
>>  that cold water will heat in  a differennt manner than warm or
>>  hot water due to the brownian motion inherent in the state change.
>
>Incorrect. Hot water which has been cooled will freeze faster than water at
>the same temperature which has never been heated; this is because the
>heated-and-cooled water has less oxygen dissolved therein. However, water at
>80C will take longer to freeze than water at 40C, regardless.

Actually it is correct that hot water freezes faster than cold.  It takes
more energy but less time.  There was an article in Scientific American
many years ago.  With hot water, the first ice forms crystals that
lead to the faster freezing time.  I don't remember brownian motion
being involved, but it might be.

Ranvaig