[Sca-cooks] Skirrits or Skyrvat

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 17:52:39 PST 2002

Forme of Cury mentions Skyrvats along with other root vegetables (For instance:

"Rapes in Potage

Take rapus and make he clene and waish he clene, quare hem, (th)boile he, take hem up, cast hem in a gode broth, mince oynons and cast (th)to,  Safron and Salt and messe it forth with powdo douce, in the wise make of Pasturnak and Skyrvats.")

I've found Skirret listed in several dictionaries as a plant of the genus sium of Asian origin, but long cultivated in Europe for its sweet edible root.

Do we have these in the 'States?  If so, what are they called?  Where can I find them?  What could be substituted?  Would Jicama work?

Mordonna

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt