[Sca-cooks] SCA Slaughtering

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 26 09:21:32 PST 2002

Also sprach Kirsten Houseknecht:
>as someone who saw a mundane (modern) slaughter go bad once... it was enough
>to instantly explain vegetarianism to me.
>
>i know modern methods are supposed to be humane... and maybe most of the
>time they are.. but of course the *one* time i went to a slaughtering
>house.. it wasnt!
>
>Kosher methods seem kindest to me, i suppose.  and they havent changed too
>much in a long time.

There is, somewhere, a 15th-century English recipe for roast kid that
features slaughtering instructions; as a way to die it doesn't seem
worse than a lot of other things, and certainly better than an
ill-aimed knock to the head, and butchering a live animal.

Essentially it says to make a shallow incision in the skin with a
sharp knife at the throat, in order to expose the specific blood
vessel you need to cut. Then, having accomplished this, you cut that
blood vessel and let the animal bleed to death, which is, I gather,
relatively painless compared to some other methods.

Adamantius