[Sca-cooks] Re: OT:new question

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Thu Dec 26 09:26:34 PST 2002

Actually, that's not how it works.  Adding any salt to pure water actually
**raises** the boiling point, and lowers the freezing point.  The reason it
raises the boiling point is here:
http://www.sciencenet.org.uk/database/Chemistry/Original/c00064d.html -
basically it makes it harder for any given molecule to acquire enough energy
to achieve a gaseous state.  So the water comes to a boil slower, but once
it *is* boiling, the temperature is hotter and thus the pasta (or whatever)
cooks faster...

Generys