[Sca-cooks] OT:new question

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 26 11:04:58 PST 2002

> > >We were talking about boiling water for spagetti and we were all
> > >wondering why we were all taught to boil cold salted water instead of
>Hot
> > >salted tap water.
> > >
> > >I know why it's true for boiling meat for broth/soup, but why for
>spagetti?
> > >
> > >Anybody know?  Were we dreaming about this?
> >
> > In general, there seems to be a prejudice against hot water from any
> > source other than the cold tap, heated on the stove, going into your
> > body. Hot water from the tap seems to be okay for washing dishes,
> > laundry, body, etc., but if it goes in your mouth, there seems to be
> > this idea that cold water is somehow cleaner than hot water. Maybe
> > there are funky mineral deposits in the hot water heater tank or
> > something.
>
>Not necessarily in the tank, but possibly in the pipes. Most homes,
>particularly older homes, still use metal pipes to conduct water about. Hot
>water leaches metal out of the pipes faster than cold. It's OK to bathe in,
>etc... but for cooking, cold water is better, since it will have less metal
>content. My mother is sufficiently paranoid on this subject that she got
>one
>of the 2.5 gallon Brita tanks to sit on her kitchen counter, and
>exclusively
>uses filtered water for all cooking tasks. I think it's probably overkill,
>but, well, whatever...
>
>Avraham

Close Avraham.  The reason why is because of the solder used in copper tube
pipe.  It's made with lead, or used to be, along with other fun stuff like
nickle.  Heating it up leached out the fun stuff faster.  Now we just have
to deal with manmade petrolium based stuff held together with stuff that
melts most stuff on contact.  yippie.
Olwen, on prednisone, abnormally hyper, shaking, yet subject to sitting
because moving about makes me shorter of breath.  oh joy.  The up side is, I
have all you lovely folks at the other end of my keyboard to talk with.