[Sca-cooks] Room Temperature

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 26 09:56:42 PST 2002

Anahita asked:
>  How long do you leave something out of the refrigerator until it
>  comes to room temperature.
>
>  I realize that there are variables, such as how cold the item was to
>  begin with (a fridge can range from, what? 34 to 40 degrees
>  Fahrenheit?), and what the temperature of the room is (since it's
>  winter, my current room temperature is around 64 degrees).

Stefan li Rous responded:
>I think you left off one even more important variable. How big the frozen
>chunk of meat is.

Actually i didn't leave this information out, as this is not what i
was asking about.

I thought i was clear in my original message, as i specified
"refrigerator" and a beginning temperature of between 34 and 40
degrees F.

This is definitely not the freezer and not frozen at 32 degrees F. or
colder (aren't freezers supposed to be around 28 degrees F.?).

I meant what i said,
and i said what i meant
An Anahita is as specific as she can be,
and tries to get close to 100 per cent :-)

So, any estimates of how long it takes to bring something out of the
refrigerator at a temperature of somewhere around 34 to 40 degrees
Fahrenheit up to room temperature, which as i said in my original
message, is around 64 degrees Fahrenheit?

An hour? Two hours? Three hours?

I just want to serve something at room temperature that needs to be
kept in the refrigerator until some time before serving, i'll say,
"cheese spread", or a cooked dish of some sort that is best served at
room temp., something whose flavor or texture is improved by not
being at refrigerator temperature.

Anahita