[Sca-cooks] Celebes coffee

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 26 11:36:47 PST 2002

Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
>  $15 is hefty, but I've paid about that much for good coffee (Celebes,
>  which you really can't get around here anymore, durnit)

Perhaps you can't find it because it is being sold under its actual
Indonesian name, rather than its old colonial name.

The Indonesian name for the islands formerly called the Celebes is
Sulawesi. And the good coffee from there is called Sulawesi Kalosi.

A quick search of the web shows that it is quite readily available.

Sulawesi Kalosi is one of my favorites. I suggest you try ordering
from Peet's Coffee and Tea
http://www.peets.com
who has it for $12.95 per lb.

If you can't find Sulawesi Kalosi, try a good quality of Sumatra -
not all Sumatras are created equal. It isn't quite as "fine" in
flavor as Sulawesi, but very similar, rich, full, earthy, and spicy.

I have a strong preference for the flavor of Indonesian coffees. My
standard brew is Peet's "Garuda Blend", which is a blend of several
Indonesian coffees. I get Sulawesi Kalosi or actual Arabian Mocha for
special drinking.

Anahita
who only buys her coffee from Peet's and remember when Mr. Peet
actually still owned the place...