[Sca-cooks] asthma, was Olwen, was new question

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 26 14:12:37 PST 2002

>For those of you who aren't trained in at least First Aid, the best thing
>you can usually do is dial 911, answer their questions, then shut up and
>sit
>down, or remove yourself or any panicking people from the scene. Above all,
>appear to be calm, even if you're scared to death.
>
>Phlip

All good advice Phlip.  Friends really want to help when they see you are in
distress or having an attack.  Very kind of them but..  I have severe asthma
that triggers from lots of stuff, the worst being scents and changes in air
temp/moisture.  And molds.  It seems though that sometimes I just get a good
attack for entertainment it seems cuz I can't figure out what the heck
brought it on.  Anyway, as you all know, I have been playing with the cooks
guild here so at almost any given time at almost any event I am lucky enough
that at least a couple of them are around.

I did us all a favor.  I wrote down *EXACTLY* what people should do when I
have an attack.  So now, if I have a problem I try to get away from the main
body of the group if possible (not always possible) and a 'stray puppy' will
follow me and stay near without all the dumb questions just to make sure I
get it under control and fetch if I need anything else.  If I am still
within the group, someways or other, they randomly have one person
designated as my watchdog and others try not to make a big deal of it and
keep others from over-reacting and getting in the way.  The 911 time I
designated was when I hit the floor.  For some reason this didn't work
yesterday.  For the life of me I don't think I shall ever figure out really
why but I see now that I have stressed too hard on the "don't panic" thing.
I have since been asked to give more explicit directions on the myriad of
inhailers I have since I somehow managed to apparently over medicate which
causes, among other things, uncontrollable shaking, which I am still
trembling from.

I do have to give endless thanks to Chirhart and Hans for taking care of me
and being my watchdogs.  But next time call 911.
Olwen