[Sca-cooks] NOT off topic, asthma, was Olwen, was new question

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Fri Dec 27 07:33:50 PST 2002

very good advice indeed... I wish more people followed it <sigh>

all SCA cooks (all cooks in general) should be familiar with allergy attacks
and have some clue how to react.

for the record.. as far as I know (and I could be wrong) epinephrine (epi
pens and such) are only good for severe allergy attacks.. NOT for asthma.
epi usually makes asthma worse.  since panic can cause an asthma attack....
it may deal with the allergy that triggered the asthma attack, but its
severe overkill in most cases!

asthmatics usually HAVE medication that has been prescribed for them.. now
if you can ascertain that *your* meds are the same as *their* meds and your
meds are closer.. well that's ok... but first you have to verify that.
people can be allergic to weird things, and I know at least one lady who is
deathly allergic to one of the common asthma inhalers!

*I* do not have asthma.. I have allergies that can cause anaphylaxis ( among
other things my throat swells shut).  unfortunately many people *think* its
asthma, and try to give me their asthma meds.

in addition to being really stupid (don't give anyone unknown meds) it
doesn't help me, and all they do is throw me into a panic by blocking my
airway more.

treatments for me are: fresh air, removing the allergen, keeping people from
further panicking me or blocking my air, anti-histamines, and if none of
that works get my epi-pen.

********** oh, and a note for most cooks!!!!!
something  you should have in your first aid kit is *liquid* benedryl. the
easiest way to carry it is liquid gel caps.   if someone has a serious
allergy attack, and they are *conscious* they can bite the capsule to
release the liquid directly under their tongue.  you can do the same with
powders, but its harder to find them.
when the liquid or powder is released from its time release or slow to
dissolve coating directly onto the mucus membranes, some of it is absorbed
NOW.. this can keep an airway open while the ambulance arrives.
***but they have to be awake enough to let you know whether this is a good
medicine for them, and so they can swallow.****
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."