[Sca-cooks] OT Blue Feathers and etc (was ***A Message From Bish. I'm O.K.)

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Dec 26 15:32:00 PST 2002

> >  I mean i'm not complaining but it seems a
> >little odd having it reserved for one group of people within the SCA.
>
> Well, let me ask you this. Is it any less odd for Blue Feathers
> (okay, I know I'm getting into Complicated Answer territory, and
> possibly trouble here, but it's for a good cause, folks) to be worn
> by a single group within the SCA, than for clerical personae and garb
> to be reserved by one group of people within the SCA? Especially
> when, in both cases, it's a common but individual choice of the
> people doing it, and not a requirement of the SCA.

Well... once the blue feather badge was reserved to the household (call it
what you like, within the confines of SCA structure, Clan Blue Feather is a
household) by Moses von dem Falken back in AS XXV, the use of the badge is
then the prerogative of the household. Of course, the College of Arms has no
mechanism in place to enforce the rules reserving devices to a single
individual. There is NOTHING that can stop someone from using any device
they like, even if someone else has registered it, except the weight of
public disapproval. They can't REGISTER the same device, but they can damn
well use it, and the CoA doesn't have the authority to say boo. I know many
heralds who wish the CoA COULD do something about it - heraldic "courts of
honor" could be lots of fun to recreate.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass (soon to be "of Sudentur")
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: What's a honeydew list?  Honey do this, honey do that.

---