[Sca-cooks] OOP: spice mix packets

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 26 15:55:45 PST 2002

Sandra asked:
> One of the things that showed up in my stocking yesterday was a "Chicken
> Moglai mix" (ParamPara brand). The instructions are intriguing: Take 500
> grams of chicken, entire packet of Parampara Chicken Moglai Mix, 100
> grams curd and 1 cup (150 ml) of water in a cooker.  Mix it well & cook
> for 2 whistles.  Delicious Chicken Moglai is ready.  (For 3 persons.)"
>
> Aside from the fact that it doesn't specify if the chicken is raw or
> cooked, whole or in pieces, on the bone or off, what do they mean by
> "cook it for 2 whistles"?  Somehow I doubt this is the Indian equivalent
> of "for the time it takes to say two Aves."  Anybody have any ideas?
Not to mention, where do you get "100 grams of curd". Do you make this

from milk? goat, sheep or cow milk? How do you make the curds? Stir
some lemon juice into the milk? Let it curdle on the counter for a day
or two? (yes, some of this on the curdling is probably in the Florilegium)

Something tells me this wasn't packaged for the normal American cook. :-)

Well, at least the directions are in English. I've passed over a number
of intriguing items in the ethnic markets because none of the instructions
were in English. Sometimes nothing on the package was in English.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com