[Sca-cooks] OOP: spice mix packets

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Thu Dec 26 23:00:15 PST 2002

> Stefan asks about the Mystery Moglai Chicken:

>>Not to mention, where do you get "100 grams of curd". Do you make this
>>from milk? goat, sheep or cow milk? How do you make the curds? Stir
>>some lemon juice into the milk? Let it curdle on the counter for a day
>>or two? (yes, some of this on the curdling is probably in the Florilegium)
>>
>>Something tells me this wasn't packaged for the normal American cook. :-)

It's possibly panir, a very mild home-made cheese very popular in
northern India.

1 gallon milk
1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

Bring milk to a boil in a large pan. Reduce the heat to low and while
gently stirring, add the lemon juice. When the milk separates into
cheese curds and yellowish whey, remove the pan from the heat. Line a
strainer with three layers of cheesecloth 22 to 24 inches square. Using
a slotted spoon, gently transfer the larger curds into the cheesecloth,
then slowly pour the whey and smaller bits.  Gather the cheesecloth into
a wrapped bundle and rinse the curds with a slow stream of water to
remove the lemon taste and gently squeeze out the excess liquid.  Set up
a slightly tilted board into the sink, fold the cheesecloth over the
curds to make a pad and put a weight onto the cheese bundle, letting it
sit until you have about a pound (anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours).

Use as desired or wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to three days.
See, Stefan, that's not so very hard.

ciorstan