[Sca-cooks] OOP: spice mix packets

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Dec 27 02:55:33 PST 2002

>>Stefan asks about the Mystery Moglai Chicken:
>
>>>Not to mention, where do you get "100 grams of curd". Do you make this
>>>from milk? goat, sheep or cow milk? How do you make the curds? Stir
>>>some lemon juice into the milk? Let it curdle on the counter for a day
>>>or two? (yes, some of this on the curdling is probably in the Florilegium)
>>>
>>>Something tells me this wasn't packaged for the normal American cook. :-)
>
>It's possibly panir, a very mild home-made cheese very popular in
>northern India.

Curd means Yougurt.  Plain, no sugar.

Moglai or Mughlai means in the style of the Moguls, that is,
influenced by medieval Middle Eastern cooking.

http://www.currypages.com/dishglossary.aspx?dish=Moghul%2FMoglai
Moghul/Moglai  A very mild dish usually of chicken, flavoured with
garlic, ginger and spices and then cooked in a rich creamy sauce of
yoghurt, coconut, cashew nuts and sultanas.

http://www.navsarionline.com/receipe/moglai_biryani.htm
Moglai Cuisine is the cuisine that comes from the kitchens of the
ancient Indian aristocracy or the Moghul Emperors. This cuisine is
predominant in the Northern part of India. It has a strong influence
of Muslim Cooking and some of the dishes retain their Muslim names -
kebabs, kofta, pulao, biryani. Moglai Cuisine is very "spice based"
and has a distinctive aroma and taste of ground and whole spices.