[Sca-cooks] Fw: ***A Message From Bish. I'm O.K.

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 26 16:13:11 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> It must be a regional thing, A....I haven't seen it around here in
> Artemisia/Atenveldt, or the parts of An Tir we hang out with.
> There are a few clerical personae in the kingdom, and I don't know that
> any of them are anything but hetero.
> There are also a couple of groups of people involved in an *old*,
> long-running kingdom joke involving those who choose to venerate local
> "saints," and at least one group comprising mostly women who are
> mundanely single, or whose husbands don't do SCA, that is known as the
> Abbey, but that's more of an authenticity-encouraging household.
> From what I've seen and experienced, I'd venture to guess that our
> gay/lesbian/bi/trans-gendered folks are just more generally integrated
> into SCA society as a whole, being known more for their interests,
> fighting skills, etc., than their gender or sexual orientation.
> --Maire

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing- perhaps specific to the EK, since, when
Adamantius told me about it some time ago, I was rather surprised. I knew
several people with clerical personas, and they were most drfinitely not
gay, and that was in the Middle Kingdom, which was the first to split from
the East.

OTOH, most of the MK gays I know are simply personas like any other,
reflecting the general gamut of SCA skills, interests, and abilities.
Possibly it's a general EK thing, centered in NYC, because I've noticed that
New Yorkers, as a rule, tend to be much more vocal about their social or
ethnic sub-groups than other folk throughout the US, other than in
Calfornia.

By that token, I was very surprised when Avraham said that there were folk
wanting to block Kosher butchering practices in the Midwest because of
anti-Semitism. Other than in the big cities, most people don't care whether
you're Jewish or whatever- it just isn't an issue.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,