[Sca-cooks] SCA Slaughtering

Mike Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Thu Dec 26 16:22:36 PST 2002

Having worked at a Kosher plant for the last 3 yrs. from when I've watched
the blood pit, the average for cattle can take about a minute to a minute
and a half before they lose consciousness. You can tell because they no
longer try to right themselves (pulling up thier heads upright while they're
hanging on the leg shackles).

On the other hand some last longer - we had one who left the blood pit after
it's neck was slit and before it was shackled. Made it all the way through
the evis. floor, several coolers, through the chicken cut up floor and onto
the chicken evis. floor before dropping.

Made for an exciting day, to say the least.

If you do visit a slaughterhouse, and someone yells "walker on the floor"
it means a cow is out of the killing area - stay alert and out of the cow's
way. :)

Beatrix of Tanet