[Sca-cooks] Fw: ***A Message From Bish. I'm O.K.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Dec 27 07:33:47 PST 2002

At 09:50 AM 12/27/02 -0500, you wrote:

>know quite a few people who have studied and recreate the religious life,
>and frankly I resent the blanket statements that a) the religious persoane
>in the SCA are "joke" personae, or b) they are gay.

I must agree with this statement. Yes, a good deal of those dressed as
clerics in the SCA are doing so as a joke. In fact we do joke about father
Abelard a fair amount- but Abelard, as well as many others, was created not
for a joke but for another purpose, be it to study in depth the religious
life in period, to express a desire for a life that is something more than
what can be a 'party' atmosphere, or even to indicate a period of time to
be 'alone' after a romantic breakup.

I knwo it is unlikely that Father Abelard will ever really be taken
seriously, but I would like some recognition of the fact that I have put
time and research into the persona and that it is not *just* a joke.

'Lainie
- who just finished a very technical letter written in the guise of the
good father. My brain hurts.