[Sca-cooks] OT: Trapped in a Soap Opera (was Goodbye to Murphy)

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Dec 27 10:00:38 PST 2002

>I'm so sorry! You've just been having an awful, awful couple months... I
>hope next year is better for you!

I think I'm trapped in a soap opera, the last 16 months have been one
crisis after another, including domestic violence that could have
killed me and nearly broke my marriage, he took anger management
classes and I gave him another chance, but its been very difficult.
There are very good reasons that I am angry with my husband, but I am
being supportive and taking as much care of him as I can after the
accident.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer that seemed hopeless at first,
but he has responded well to chemo.  I had knee surgery that didn't
help, finally admitted that I needed a wheelchair and am waiting to
build up my sick leave so I can have knee replacement surgery (my
sick leave is back to zero after the last few weeks).  In July, hubby
was in a car accident that totaled my van, the other driver was at
fault but their insurance company that still hasn't settled.  The
first week in Aug, my daughter closed the van door on my hand and
broke my thumb, I had a severe fever, and dental surgery. My mother
in law just told us that her breast cancer is back and in her bones,
I dont know the details, but it doesnt sound good.

Our house is being foreclosed and I'm trying to stop the sheriff's
auction, someone wants to buy it, but I'm not sure it can be arranged
in time. We need to move to more accessible housing anyway, but it
hurts to leave the house we have lived in for 20 years, the only home
my children have known. I worry that we wont be able to keep the cats
(3 adults and 5 kittens). My husband was only working part time, and
since the accident he has no income (yes, I am working).  Insurance
will cover most if not all of the hospital bills ($44,000 for the
first four days in the hospital!), but there have been other
expenses.  Various other financial difficulties make it likely that I
will have to file for bankruptcy.

And my hair has gotten streaks of grey... I wonder why?  The
friendship and support on this list have helped a lot. Thank you so
very much.

Ranvaig
(worried about what the writers plan for next week's episode)