[Sca-cooks] Fw: ***A Message From Bish. I'm O.K.

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Fri Dec 27 15:32:20 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/27/02 5:47:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

> althought it would be interesting to put him into one of the
> >heretical orders, such as the Gnostics or the Albigenses :D.
>
> Oh Misha...
>
> The Gnostics and the Albigensians (Cathars) and all the other heretical
> sects are not _Orders_. They aren't even Catholic. (Oh *nuts*- as usual my
> best reference is 180 miles south). And _please_ don't go for the Bogomils,
> Albigensians/Cathars, Manichean, or other dualist sects becasue of an idea
> that they are more likely to be gay-friendly. The notion that they were
> gay, bi, or deviant of some sort as part of their doctrine is propaganda-
> remember I was talking about 'other-ness' the other day? How we accuse the
> 'other' of the crimes we hate/fear the most, be it cannibalism, incest,
> bestiality, etc. The doctrinal accounts of the dualist sects show no
> evidence of sexual deviancy, in fact quite the opposite. (And before
> someone starts hopping up and down about LaDurie's _Montaillou_, I will
> point out that it covers a period of time about a century after the Cathars
> flourished, *and* the records LaDurie used as sources for the book were
> written by the Inquisitors. They are likely to write what they want to
> record, and those being interviewed are likely to say exactly what they
> think the Inquisitor wants to hear- a situation not likely to result in the
> most accurate of records.)
>
> I would strongly suggest that you read a great deal about teh heretical
> sects *before* you consider basing a persona of one. I would suggest you
> start with a book by Wakefield and Evans. I think the title is something
> like _Heresies of the High Middle Ages_.

Dearest Auntie 'Lainie, I was kidding when I said I was gonna put Lawrence in
one of the heretical sects. As in an earlier e-mail I said my decision to
make a clerical persona is to research the early Church since I love my
Catholic religion and would love to see how a religious person back in the
day would have lived his life. Plus, i'm a rosary maker so i'm starting to
research medieval rosaries. One day, i'll muster enough gusto and money, i'll
make beads from actual roses. I need to make a 15-decade rosary for Lawrence
since I have money now. And my sexual orientation has no part in my choosing
in what sect I go. I'll probably go into the Dominicans, aka the Order of the
Preachers

> Also, I would think about this- need you sexual orientation be the primary
> basis for your persona? I would think that more important than that you
> should look at interests, etc., and resist the urge to 'be about' your
> orientation. There's so much more to life than sex...
>
> My two livres,
> 'Lainie

Not to be condescending or repetitive, but I still don't understand why being
gay makes it obvious that I should chose a alternative religious persona.
Yeah yeah gay SCAdians in the past did it as a joke, but my interests are far
from joking. The next event i'm going to, I may enter one of my rosaries in
the A&S. This is why I said most likely i'll go into the Dominicans since the
Rosary was handed down from the Blessed Virgin to St. Dominic Guzman and the
Dominicans have a close affinity to the Rosary. And I won't call myself
Brother Lawrence since monks seemed to be cloistered instead of Friars  (of
course, being a cook, I could also call myself a Fryar :D)

(Soon to be) Fr. Lawrence.