[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #3006 - 7 msgs

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Fri Dec 27 22:36:08 PST 2002

> This is getting unbelievably OT for a cooks' list,
> but I gotta ask, before Papa grumps at us again,
> and shoos us out into the night....
> What's the distinction between chaste and celibate?
> Thought and action?
> --Maire, lacking the proper religious background,
> but actually interested....

Celibate is to forswear (and keep your vow) sexual activity.

Chaste is to forswear *thoughts*  and desire, as much as you can, of sexual
activity outside of what is proper to your marital status.

   Thus, a virgin who has no sexual awakening before marriage is chaste and
celibate, but after marriage, by keeping their thoughts and desires focused
on her husband/his wife within the context of holy matrimony, is still
chaste.... some also use the word to describe a state of innocence such that
sexual acts are not known (seen) as "sinful" - I believe that "Blue Lagoon"
(SUCH a strange movie) explored that particular concept.

Rosine, who knows that others on the list probably have more specific-faith
answers.