[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #3006 - 7 msgs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Dec 27 22:43:34 PST 2002

At 10:39 PM 12/27/02 -0700, you wrote:
>This is getting unbelievably OT for a cooks' list, but I gotta ask,
>before Papa grumps at us again, and shoos us out into the night....
>What's the distinction between chaste and celibate? Thought and action?
>--Maire, lacking the proper religious background, but actually
>interested....

To my understanding (and it is only an academic understanding, since I am
decidedly neither) that 'chastity' is a renunciation of sexual activity,
whether one has previously indulged or not (such as a widow becoming a
nun). 'Celibacy' is renunciation of sexual activity that one has not and
will not, indulge in. (Hope I got that right- think I'm close at least.)

'Lainie
-prefer being 'chased', myself- by a certain silly seneschal!