[Sca-cooks] OOP: spice mix packets

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Dec 28 06:53:59 PST 2002

>  > >I must admit, I would never have thought of yogurt, since, while it sets
>>  >up, it doesn't really curd. It's different.
>>
>>  Its still the word used for yogurt in many Indian cookbooks.
>>  Sometimes you need an English to English translation.
>>
>>  Ranvaig
>
>      I wonder; is there any indication that curd in this sense has been
>hung to drain at all?

Yogurt that has been drained is shrikhand, usually sweetened and used
as a sweet.

Think of things like lemon curd, a thick smooth spread.

<http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/seta/2002/08/15/stories/2002081500050200.htm>
"The word yoghurt (or yogurt, both spellings are ok) is Turkish in
origin, and used interchangeably with curd"

Here is a discussion of how to make "curd"  its clearly yogurt.
The culture is different than American yogurt, and its thicker
and usually full-fat, but not a difference that will matter
in this recipe.
<http://forumhub.com/southfood/18934.12.11.08.html>
<http://www.drillustrations.com/Recipes7.htm>
<http://forumhub.com/southfood/29124.09.29.58.html>