[Sca-cooks] Masked Ball wrap-up

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 28 13:07:08 PST 2002

Morgana detailed her recent feast saying:
> It's been 2 weeks now, so I feel like writing about Masked Ball.  This
> was the Jewish-themed event in the Barony of the Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo
> NY)  Oh, and thanx again Avraham (sp?) for the shalom.  It made a great
> watermark on the promo flyers and I carved it into a stamp for the
> tokens.

Do you mean a watermark that is pressed into the promo flyers? Or a printed
background design?

> People DEVOURED the sideboard, which was a surprise as the day started
> late and attendance was slow.  In general it was underattended.  We were,
> as the autocrat put it, in the doughnut hole of weather and that didn't
> help matters.
So, your weather was fine, while the surrounding areas had bad weather? Or the reverse?

What did you serve for the sideboard/lunch? Was it Jewish type food also?

> The feast:
> First course was Ashkenazi dairy.  The kugel took a bit longer to set
> than planned, so it went out last.  No one seemed to mind as they were
> chowing down on the bread and seasoned butter (with grains of paradise),
> krupnik, red cabbage with apples, carrot tzimmes, and onion tarts.  The
> marinated smelts were as coolly received as I figured they'd be.  The
> "warner" was a small dish of shrimp, tossed in the smelts' marinade.  I
> served water with black currant syrup as the beverage.

What do you mean by "warner"? My understanding was that this was another name
for illusion food.