[Sca-cooks] Re. Strange christmas dishes (fruit cake & Plural of "Lochac) OP

Susan Laing paxford at gil.com.au
Sun Dec 29 05:58:01 PST 2002

Stefan queried....
> So, if this isn't the proper plural (and this was meant as a serious
> question), what *is* the proper term? "Scadians from down under" is a bit
too
> wordy...

To be completely honest I'm not 100% sure of what the correct term of "a
plural of Lochac" is [I've cc'd Mistress Kiriel in as I'm sure she will
know]. "Lochacians" is probably correct but I'm afraid the phrase
"Loch-wegians" has taken possession of my brain cells at the moment (and
no - I'm quite sure that one shouldn't be used :-p)

> Please do. I don't think I actually have too many period recipes for ham.
<snip>> What is a "Cumberland Sauce"? If these are period recipes, or even
if not, you might
> just post them to this list.

Not period but I'll have to post them after I return to work on the 2nd of
January (since it's somewhere in the recipe file on my work computer) ;-p

>but it doesn't describe to this ignorant American what a "Christmas cake"
is

Ohhh! <light bulb flashes on above Marion's head and then fuses> - a
"christmas cake" is a Fruit cake. It can have icing on it or not, and
contain alcohol in it's cooking process or not (I prefer mine to be a light
madira fruit cake sans alcohol flavouring).  I can probably rat up a recipe
if you'd like [one of my work mates has a family tradition that they all
gather together in September each year and make the dozen or so family
Christmas cakes - masses of fruit peel and glaced cherries and oddles of rum
in the blending process. The cakes are then stored in airtight containers
until christmas when they get devoured. My own family has a tradition of
shopping for one each year ;-p]

Mari
(catching up on old posts and recipe requests tonight)