[Sca-cooks] Re. Strange christmas dishes (was Alluding to da Drakey...)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 25 21:51:22 PST 2002

Mari said:
>>Oh, what a relief. I hate to see them have to quarantine Australia, and
> keep all those interesting subjects of Lochac from Pennsic. (hmm. what *is*
> the plural, "Lochacians"?)
>
> Oh Stefan - you are really a joy to know! :-) - I'll be sure to tell all
> those Lochacians attending Pennsic this coming year to look you up <2nd evil
> snigger>

Well, please do have them drop by. Likely I will be camping with SPCA again.
So, if this isn't the proper plural (and this was meant as a serious
question), what *is* the proper term? "Scadians from down under" is a bit too
wordy...

>> "cauliflower cheese"? I hope there is a missing comma in there...I've
> eaten pepper cheese and >salami cheese, though.
>
> I don't have the recipe for it unfortunately but it really is Cauliflower
> cooked in a cheese base - very gooey, very nice (I received a dish of it as
> a "thank you" from my best friends mother -

I was afraid you were going to say that. Sounds good except for the
califlower. :-)

> I was over at there place
> Christmas eve cooking her family a Baked Ham dinner (Baked Gammon in Cider
> with a Cumberland Sauce - not period that I can discover but reminiscent of
> some Tudor recipes I've seen over the years - recipes on the work computer
> but if you want it post me privately and I'll make a list of who to send it
> to after I return to work on the 2nd of January)

Please do. I don't think I actually have too many period recipes for ham.
Those that I do can be found in the ham-msg file. I do remember one or more
recipes given on this list for cooking ham in cider, but I don't remember if
these were based on period recipes or even just descriptions or not. What is a
"Cumberland Sauce"? If these are period recipes, or even if not, you might
just post them to this list.

>>Christmas cake with custard and cream? What is this? Now this sounds a lot
>> more interesting.
>
> Grin.... It's my own personal variation on the "Humph! - no Plum pudding in
> the house - let's heat up some christmas cake and use it as a substitute" -
> very nice, very artery clanging in it's richness (well - once you add the
> ice cream on the side and cover it all with cream & custard that is :-p)
Hey. That's not the answer. That's and interesting description of how to

serve this Christmas cake, but it doesn't describe to this ignorant

American what a "Christmas cake" is. Hmmm. And now it has both ice cream

and cream on/with it?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com