[Sca-cooks] Re. Strange christmas dishes (was Alluding to da Drakey...)

Susan Laing paxford at gil.com.au
Wed Dec 25 16:34:02 PST 2002

>Lady Fumblefoot (Mari) replied to me with:

Grin.... Actually Stefan the original version of my surname (10 or so years
ago now) was "faux pas" (lit. translation "False step"), which of course was
instantly altered to "Fox Paws" by our ever loving local herald (my device
is a Fox so it made sense to her :-p) - as I got more into the serious side
of re-enacting I gradually changed to "de Paxford" . The Marion has always
been there (shortened to Mari on less formal occassions) [strange name morph
history #456546 :p]  Mind you - 7 years after the change various people
(current Lochac King included) ask after "Marion FoxPaws" and get the
blankest looks from the newer people <quiet evil snigger>

>Oh, what a relief. I hate to see them have to quarantine Australia, and
keep all those interesting >subjects of Lochac from Pennsic. (hmm. what *is*
the plural, "Lochacians"?)

Oh Stefan - you are really a joy to know! :-) - I'll be sure to tell all
those Lochacians attending Pennsic this coming year to look you up <2nd evil
snigger>

> "cauliflower cheese"? I hope there is a missing comma in there...I've
eaten pepper cheese and >salami cheese, though.

I don't have the recipe for it unfortunately but it really is Cauliflower
cooked in a cheese base - very gooey, very nice (I received a dish of it as
a "thank you" from my best friends mother - I was over at there place
Christmas eve cooking her family a Baked Ham dinner (Baked Gammon in Cider
with a Cumberland Sauce - not period that I can discover but reminiscent of
some Tudor recipes I've seen over the years - recipes on the work computer
but if you want it post me privately and I'll make a list of who to send it
to after I return to work on the 2nd of January)

>Christmas cake with custard and cream? What is this? Now this sounds a lot
more interesting.

Grin.... It's my own personal variation on the "Humph! - no Plum pudding in
the house - let's heat up some christmas cake and use it as a substitute" -
very nice, very artery clanging in it's richness (well - once you add the
ice cream on the side and cover it all with cream & custard that is :-p)

Hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas! - it's Boxing day in
Australia and I'm off soon to the city to look at the sales and wait in line
for my 3.30pm session of Lord of the Rings (TT) - it opened here today

Huggles all!!

Mari
(less hobbley today but the Bruises on both fore-arms are now a
Beeeaauuutifulll shade. Mental note - wear long sleeves out :-p)