[Sca-cooks] OP - popoovers

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Sun Dec 29 22:06:08 PST 2002

Maire writes:

> Fudge pan? You mean, like an 8x8x2? Small brownie pan?
> --maire, beginning to think that the sca-cooks motto should be "food
> enablers are us! <g>"

Exactly! You need to use a generous dollop of melted butter in the pan,
though; it serves as 'mold release' and crunchy-crust enhancer. I
usually let the glass pans warm up to butter melting temperature in the
oven while I load and whirl the blender, then I take 'em out to pour the
batter and pop them right back in.

I've never made popovers. My family was always big on the great big pan
   thang-- since the batter would puff all up and then the center would
collapse on itself, the four- to six-inch high crusty parts in the
corners were the coveted portions.

Then Anne writes:

> Oh, now, that sounds very good...  a treat sounds right just now.

You go! Cheap, easy, fun treat!

Not to mention, my kids get to laugh as we eviscerate the mutant lemon
from my best friend's tree down the street... I think the tree has some
kind of parasite that makes bizzare-shaped lemons, though the taste is
awesome. They're cross-pollinated with grapefruit and tangerine, so the
lemons are very fragrant and sweet.

ciorstan