[Sca-cooks] bread flour oop

Mon Dec 30 06:52:38 PST 2002

Flour has a long shelf life if properly stored.  However, the longer the
storage period the drier the flour, so it may need more liquor than the
recipe calls for.  What you can't tell without a baking test is whether or
not the glutens are still able to form chains.  Since you are talking about
bread flour, I am assuming this is a high gluten flour which increases the
probability that it is still usable even with some coagulation of the
gluten.

Rancidity usually occurs in whole flours where the germ (containing the seed
oils) is still in the flour.  Since most bread flours aren't whole wheat, it
is a minor issue and your nose will tell you whether or not there is a
problem.

Mold is usually a surface discoloration (black, green, red or deep yellow)
extending into the flour.  Since the flour has been contained in an
air-tight container, it's not likely the flour has required moisture to
support a mold infestation.

Insect infestation is the most common problem.  Again, the air-tight
container reduces the probability.

I'd hang on to that container.  It is a good way to store future flour
purchases.  I look forward to the day I have kitchen space to store four or
five types of flour in 50 pound air-tight drums.

Bear