[Sca-cooks] He's back!

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 30 08:07:30 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> Just  a quick note to let y'all know I'm back in town :-)

Welcome back Gorgeous!  We worried about you on those snowy roads.

> Ate like a king in Quebec.  Some traditional holiday fare on the
> 24th.  Tourtiere (meat pie), with Ragout de patte (pig's paw stew, which is
> basically a thickened cooking liquid in which you cooked the pig's feet,
> take the meat apart, then make little balls of fried ground beef/pork
> mixture wrapped in pie dough, the whole thing cooked in the juice.  Good
> stuff).
>
> My mum's boyfriend asked if I could cook him kidney, as he hadn't had the
> good stuff in a long time (like 20 years), so I did.  Beef kidneys with a
> grain mustard and cream sauce, served with some fondante potatoes..
>
> At my dad's, we had some deer loin, that he'd been marinating in red wine,
> some marquise potatoes, followed by a spread of raw milk, local cheeses
> (YUMMMY!!!).
>
> Following day we had confit de canard (duck leg slowly cooked in duck fat),
> served with poached pears and cranberry sauce.  Some pate de foie gras to
> start with.
>
> Yeah, good stuff.  nothing very medieval, but good stuff :-)  Not counting
> the wine.

Sorry, what was not medieval in the above listed yummies?  OK, maybe the
potatoes and the cranberries.  As for the rest, I bet you could document the
lot.  Poached pears indeed!

Selene Colfox, the "period food isn't weird, it's what you already eat" lady