[Sca-cooks] an tir 12th

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 30 17:31:47 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>Maeve commented:
>  > I will be, I can be found at the laurel vigil for Goran in the meeting room
>  > Friday night 9look out for period, Middle eastern and Arabic food - thanks
>  > to Anahita) and in the merchant room, I sell period glassware.
>
>Hmm. "Look for" or "Look out for" Anahita's period Middle Eastern and Arabic
>food? :-) So please let us know what you take and how it goes, Anahita.

Thanks for the ?kind? thoughts, Stefan :-)

But i'll by at The Kingdom of the West Twelfth Night. I'm in a
somewhat serious play that the Golden Stag Players are going to
perform at West Kingdom Twelfth Night about chivalry in SCA culture.
I have a small part as an SCA bimbo. I'm told i'm unrecognizable in
the blonde wig, pink satin head roll with iridescent metallic
rick-rack wrapped around it, pastel pink-lavender-peach wench dress,
and the purple corset i wear *over* it, not to mention the hot
magenta lipstick and lime green eye shadow. Scary but true, there is
a guy in the play who thinks my trashy look is a turn on...

However, i did send a selection of about a dozen recipes to Maeve
that i thought might work, given her travel and cooking constraints.

Hey, Maeve, when it's all over, let me know what you made and how it
all turned out :-)

Anyway, I'm in the midst of working on my garb for my kingdom's
Twelfth Night, for when i'm *not* on stage. The event theme color is
white, and i just happened to have some white-ish stuff around that
i'd collected over time to make into a 16th century Ottoman outfit,
not specifically for Twelfth Night, but now is as good a time as any,
although i am the Princess of Procrastination - I leave town on
Friday at noon.

I've finished the off-white silk dupioni salwar (narrow ankle pants).
And i'm nearly done with the *very very sheer* off-white cotton
gomlek (undertunic). The pattern is based on a surviving 14th c.
Persian kamiz for reasons i won't go into on a cooking list - and
except for the parts that show - the sleeves and the hem - no one is
seeing me in this alone (i am currently without consort as he has
dropped out because he works Saturdays and his boss won't give him
time off).

Then i'll make a hirka, a sort of short coat closely fitted in the
torso, worn over the gomlek but under the primary garment, out of
some golden-ochre icky synthetic fabric i got on sale - it looks like
silk damask, but on closer inspection appears to be heat stamped and
feels like plastic :-) I hope that sandwiched between two natural
fiber garments it won't feel too bad...

I'm debating which fabric to use for the enteri, which is a
button-up-the-front "tunic" that is an Ottoman woman's primary
garment (she can do without the hirka). Either a very soft silk
that's off-white with a very very faint printed pattern in very very
pale beige and very very pale grey (which i'll have to line and maybe
even pad, because it's too soft) - or a mostly cotton Jacquard that
is white with ogees and stylized flowers in two shades of green and
two shades of red, but that's too stiff for an enteri...

However, if i use the soft silk for the enteri, i can use the
Jacquard to make a kaftan and line it with fake fur.

I haven't quite figured out what to put on my head. The wacky hats
like the tarpus don't appear until the early 17th c., not 16th. But
i'll at least have a white veil over my hair. Maybe i'll wear an old
lady's white mink hat i sort of inherited back in 1987...

Anyway, back to the cutting board... Not much food content, i know...

Anahita