[Sca-cooks] apple pie seasoning

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 30 19:08:46 PST 2002

Also sprach Carol Eskesen Smith:

>Fish Pudding (Countess Aiden¹s recipe)
>
>Fish 1 lb
>Eggs 4
>Rice flour 1 Tbsp
>Light cream 1 Cup
>White Pepper ˆ tsp
>Salt ‰ tsp
>Butter 1 Tbsp
>Bread crumbs, plain 2 Tbsp
>Puree fish, rice flour, & cream together to smooth mix. Add eggs
>singly, then salt & pepper, and blend. Butter a loaf pan and line
>evenly with bread crumbs. Spread fish mixture evenly into the pan
>and seal with foil. Place pan in larger pan of hot water; bake @ 350
>for 1 - 1.5 hr, until done.

This looks like a lot of the fiskegrot (fish pudding) and fiskeboller
(fish balls) I've seen in Scandinavian cookbooks and elsewhere. The
preferred starch in my experience is potato starch, but rice flour
obviously works.

>NOTE: we did not butter or bread the pans in which we cooked the
>fish.  I forgot.

We were a little utilitarian in service, and we sent out the puddings
right in the pans, as I recall. Under the circumstances, it scarcely
mattered.

>Wine sauce
>
>Flour 2 Tbsp
>Butter 2 Tbsp
>Light cream 0.75 Cup
>White Wine 0 5 Cup
>White pepper 0.125 tsp
>Salt to taste
>
>Melt butter into flour in double boiler. Add liquids and pepper.
>Cook with heavy whisking until smooth, thick, and done.

Looking back on this, now, I pretty much used all the white wine
(assuming it had been bought for this purpose in the right amount),
and we probably could have gotten away with less wine than I actually
used.

>We used a commercial dry white in this recipe; all other recipes
>requireing wine used a deLondres Merlot which Master Sean and I
>decided was more suitable for cooking than for drinking.  (Made with
>flash-pasteurized grapes, and has a slightly raisiny effect.  Not
>bad, but not Merlot, either.  It's wonderful in cooking, though.)

Yeah, just a bit sherried/oxidized. But perfectly fine for its
purpose. The pears were _GOOOOOOOD_.

>And Phil made the White Sauce; I know he added herbs, just because
>we had them.  Dill and what else,Master A?

Dill and a bit of parsley, as I recall. The dill was essentially a "I
meant to do that" expedient (designed to showcase the wine flavor,
rather than apologize for it). Parsley mostly for color. But dill
frequently shows up in similar sauces for similar fish dishes.

>People ate it  - probably ate more than the would have if the
>vension pies had gone out when they should have.  A friend who
>doesn't eat much fish said he'd eaten enough that his dairy allergy
>kicked in big time.

Well, that'll happen when you eat fish pudding with cream in it,
sauced with wine sauce containing a lot of half-and-half.

Adamantius