[Sca-cooks] He's back!

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 30 20:39:52 PST 2002

When I taught preschool, we tried to avoid saying the children were
being bad or good, as we believed, and wanted to convince them, that
they were essentially good children, although they sometimes misbehaved.
And yes, behavior that is appropriate in the yard is not in the
classroom...  doesn't mean it is bad, just that the teacher would like
to go home with her hearing intact... *G*

And one day, the director came into the room, looked at one of the Usual
Suspects, who was in the thick of the noise, fixed him with her best
Teacher Stare, and asked "Are you being have?? I mean..."

Yes, our use of the word is confusing. It should be "behaving well" as
one can, in fact, behave badly (and many do...)  But it's been shortened
over the years...

Anne