[Sca-cooks] Ma'amul molds

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 31 18:23:19 PST 2002

Linda Peterson <mirhaxa at morktorn.com> wrote:
>Did anyone ever locate a source for ma'amul molds? Someone brought some to
>the desert competition at our Midwinter and they were wonderful! I want to
>try my hand at them now.

Turns out that one of my local hallal markets had 'em - not marked as
to what they were and tucked way down on a bottom shelf. I don't
recall what i paid for mine... Somewhere between $4 and $6. It was
hand carved wood, somewhat crude. They had several different designs
- but i can't remember what they were (aa-ee!)

I think one was sort of a star or stylized flower inside a circle.
There was one that was rather plain and i think there was another...
Sheesh. I was there in late August or early September.

I can see if they have more and get back to you... ( but not until at
least next week - since, well this week end is Twelfth Night, and,
well, party tonight, movie and sewing tomorrow, more sewing Thursday,
leaving town Friday at Noon, back sometime Sunday...

I haven't used mine yet - but now that i've perfected that Medieval
Irnin recipe - and it's practically mamoul - i'll have to give it a
try. I think the "dough" needs to be really buttery-oily so it
doesn't stick - or am i misleading myself?

They also had real mastic - the "grains" of resin in a tiny jar, not
the white sugary paste from Greece - it was over $4, rather
expensive, but i hadn't seen it anywhere else, and even the good
herbal shop didn't have any. So i took out one "grain" and chewed it
- interesting... uh, resiny, but mild...

Anyone know if a single grain of frankincense is safe to "eat"? I
know that myrrh is, but it doesn't taste or smell particularly nice,
and "frank" is so nice...

Anahita